Monday, March 20, 2017

Bonus Blog 2: Untapped Potential of Google Cardboard

We continued our search into these interactive technologies from the latis lab in our class in the next section. This time we analyzed Google Cardboard a little further in depth. Megan and I spent our time in class trying to find the most realistic apps and features that would really make the most of these plastic goggles. Eventually, we determined the apps that made you feel the most like you were moving or really emerged in the game were the rollercoaster games that almost gave you motion sickness. In the mission to find them though I did come across a couple hundred videos and movie previews that were compatible with google cardboard. While all of these applications were interesting, none of them were extremely interesting or well developed. I think if a company really invested time and energy there could be more of a use for them. I am honestly surprised google hasn't tried to make more of a market out of them and try to develop games of better images. I mentioned in my blog about the VR headsets how amazing it would be if you could somehow facetime with the headsets, but I think it would be a really good start with these google cardboard. If they could develope an app that would allow you to feel more emerged in your conversation. Ultimately, I think this is a very underrated product for the price that it is offered yet and I would even go as far as to say that it has a lot of untapped potential.

After experimenting with the Google Cardboard my questions are:

  1. How can we make this product an everyday necessity and something that people really need? What kind of apps and development would take it to the next level? 
  2. Why has no one put more time into this? What are the limitations that I may not be seeing? How can we overcome those? 


No comments:

Post a Comment